In 2014 cosmetics manufactured in Poland were exported to over 150 countries.
The biggest individual receivers of Polish cosmetics are: Russia (13,0%), Germany (11,9%) and Great Britain (11,6%).
European Union countries receive altogether 64% of our export.
According to initial, buy still unconfirmed data of the Central Statistical Office (GUS) Polish cosmetics, Polish cosmetics export comprised 9 bln 312 mln PLN in 2014. It is 3% more in value sales than in 2013.
The categories of Polish cosmetic industry are (charts 1 and 2):
- decorative/make-up and skin care products – total value of export in 2014 comprised PLN 3 bln 971 mln, giving this category 43% of share;
- shaving peparation, deodorants, shower gels and bath foams, depilatories, toiletries and room deodorants – the total value of export in 2014 comprised PLN 1 bln 457 mln, giving this category 16% of shares;
- hair care products – the total value of export in 2014 comprised PLN 1 bln 275 mln, giving this category 14% of shares;
- oral care – the total value of export in 2014 comprised PLN 1 bln 257 mln, giving this category 13% of shares;
- perfume and eau de toilettes – the total value of export in 2014 comprised PLN 1 bln 217 mln, giving this category 13% of shares;
- the value of other exported products categories, such as ethereal oils or mixtures of odoriferous substances comprised PLN 135 mln. The share of this category comprised 2% of the total export value.
The export value in terms of regions division is presented below (chart 3):
- European Union countries import 64% of our export, which comprises PLN 5 bln 997 mln;
- Central and Eastern European countries import 18% of our export, which comprises the total value of PLN 1 bln 701 mln;
- Developing countries import 14% of our export, which gives a total value of PLN 1 bln 266 mln;
- The other developed coutries import 4% of our export, which comprises a total value of PLN 348 mln.
The low share of other developed countries (except the ones from the EU) deserves a special attention in this place. It may mean a potential export development to these particular countries, however its current weakness may be caused by the barriers connected with the appearance on the markets either by global or strong local cosmetic groups.
The main receivers of Polish cosmetics in the particular regions are:
- European Union countries – the main importer is Germany (18% of the total export value to EU) and Great Britain (18%). These are the countries with a big aggregation of Polish immigrants, who have a sentimental attitude to the products coming from their native country. The other countries with a comparabale value of import from Poland are: Italy (7%), Hungary (7%), France (7%), Spain (7%) and Czech Republic (7%). The differences between them are not very considerable.
- Central and Eastern Europe countries – Russia imports 71% and Ukraine 24% of all Polish cosmetic products sent to this part of the world. Altogether both of the countries receive 95% of our cosmetic production in this region. According to the current political situation it is supposed that export to Russia and Ukraine may be harder than in the past few years.
- Developing countries – the main receivers are: Turkey (25% of our export to this category of countries), Kazachstan (9%) and Indonesia (8%). It seems that there is still a big potential of sales rise in this group of countries. Although export to developing countries is very fragmented (there are over 100 countries in this group), regions such as the Balkans and the Middle East seem to be very promising.
- Other developing countries. Number one in this category is South Africa, which buys 38% of our export in this group of countries. What may surprise is the insignificance of export value in this group of countries. Maybe the export increase requires other attitude of marketing operation, following cosmetic trends and a fast reaction to changing consumer needs.
To sum up, decorative/ make-up cosmetics and skin care had the biggest share in value sales ( PLN 3 bln 971 mln) in 2014.
Chart 4 shows the division into product categories:
The main export group of the mentioned category are skin care and beautifying products – export value rated at PLN 2 bln 610 mln comprises 65% of export value in this category while 64% of the total export value from this group is sent to European Union countries, where the main receivers are Germany and Great Britain.
The export of eye make-up cosmetics comprised PLN 469 mln, which gave a total share of 12% in this category. 46% of whole export is sent European Union countries, but a considerable share have also Central and Eastern European countries – 28%.
Further positions are taken by lip make-up cosmetics (export valued at PLN 312 mln, which gives 8% of export share in this category), loose and pressed powders (export valued at PLN 272 mln, which gives 7% of total share in this category).